Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Thinking about Greek tragedy.

I've got much more work to do on the Providence paper, but I spent today's writing session on Greek tragedy and learning about Mithridates VI. 

I think this season is not going to be as bad as some critics have said. I'm thinking they're not getting a lot of the references, or if they are, they're dismissing them as too superficial. I don't think you can discount the death drives the three detectives each exhibit, and the use of tropes in detective fiction (in S2E1, there were image/reflection and sight/blindness, just for starters) are a modern version of the heavily ironic figures used in Greek tragedy, where surfaces present one face and depths present another.

Lots more to come on this. My first priority is Providence.

I speak at 10:30 a.m. the Friday of the conference, and heavens be praised, I am not going up against the Ramsay Campbell live interview.

No comments: